The history

Ingresso Casa D'AnnunzioThe house where he was born Gabriele d'Annunzio was declared a National Monument on 14/4/1927 by Royal Decree, to protect it as a building of significant historical interest and to commemorate the poet's mother, Luisa De Benedictis, who lived here until 1917. The building, plant eighteenth century, has undergone several restorations, which have preserved the original typology of nineteenth-century bourgeois house of the province and the inner wall decorations.

The poet, who always remained tied with memories to his father's house, sacred to him as a "sanctuary", for the decline after the death of her mother, she promised since 1926 for a proper restoration that give back the original nobility . For this commissioned restructuring the brother Antonino Free, architect in the prestige of those years Pescara, to whom he dictated his projects on the amendment: wanted, in fact, free from the shops on the ground floor and keep the loggia, the courtyard, the well , stable and remittances. It was also his iron will keep the room "sacred" mother and restore the alcove, store the painted vaults of two reception rooms and the room where the father had painted the titles of his early works. Work began in 1926 by the German Savini, proceeded slowly even in 1928 in his projects, Arch. Free provided in the settlement building and toilet in the house, the removal of old huts huddled to it, and the annexation of the rooms below.

Later, d'Annunzio preferred to entrust the task of restoration to its architect Vittoriale, Giancarlo Maroni, disappointed because some speakers, including the leveling that destroyed the three steps of his mother's room, the ones he remembered "as three steps of the altar. " The Maroni, to continue the work started by Liberi, foresaw in his project the need to restore the entire building with the expropriation of the premises for different circumstances if they were removed in time. Only in 1933 it came to the final resolution, when the State was enacted a law which provided for the expropriation, restoration and accommodation.

The work was resumed in 1934, were completed by Maroni in early 1938, with the demolition of dilapidated houses you could create, via the barracks, a small square decorative, stepped end the north side of the house with a monumental body of Factory linearly over the length of that side, raised to two storeys, with a portico on the ground floor and first used as a bookcase. Shops were shut and the entire ground floor was cleared and covered with slabs of travertine balconies, curled supported by brackets, were again surrounded with railings.

Following the war of World War II, the house suffered severe damage and looting. In 1949, in celebration of D'Annunzio planned at the national level, new projects were completed that allowed them to reopen the house as an important tourist destination.